Wednesday, 22 November 2017
News with tag SPA  RSS
Dukes London unveils Pommery partnership ahead of festive season

Added: 22.11.2017 12:24 | 0 views | 0 comments

Dukes London has announced a brand-new partnership with heritage Champagne brand, Pommery. Guests of this five-star hotel can now savour exquisite selections from the luxury drinks brand in the chic surroundings of GBR, Mayfair’s go-to restaurant which opened in May, as well as in more familiar spaces such as the Dukes Bar, the Drawing Room, or as part of room service.

From: feedproxy.google.com

Viewers react to Mary Berry and David Beckham flirting on The One show

Added: 22.11.2017 10:07 | 0 views | 0 comments

Viewers were quick to discuss the sparks flying between David Beckham and Mary Berry on The...

From: https:

Missing Argentine submarine 'running out of air' and had reported fault before vanishing

Added: 22.11.2017 10:05 | 0 views | 0 comments


An Argentine submarine missing in the South Atlantic is likely to be running out of air and had reported technical problems before vanishing, naval officials have said.  ARA San Juan’s last message reported a short circuit in its batteries and the vessel was ordered to return to its home. The Argentine navy quashed hopes that incomplete satellite calls detected over the weekend could have been from the vessel, but then on Monday night said it was analysing separate "noise" to see if it was the boat. Enrique Balbi, a Navy spokesman, said two of  search vessels had detected the sound and called in a US P-8 Poseidon plane to record it with sonobuoys. He later said experts determined the noise did not come from tools being banged against the hull of a submarine as was previously reported by some media. He said it likely came from a "biological" source. ARA San Juan  in Buenos Aires. Credit: AFP Two oceanographic ships had been dispatched to the site of the sound to send down probes, the spokesman said, adding that the analysis of the captured sound would take some three hours. Buenos Aires had been beginning to face domestic criticism of its handling of the search, with one union describing government efforts as badly coordinated and apathetic. The submarine and its crew of 44 have now been missing for five days as a growing fleet of international vessels and patrol planes brave 20ft waves and high winds to search hundreds of square miles. Timeline | Submarine accidents US Navy submarine rescue chambers have been flown to the region in the hope of bringing the crew to the surface in case the vessel can be found. Gabriel Galeazzi, a spokesman for the Argentine Navy, said the German-built diesel electric vessel had surfaced on Wednesday to report the fault. He said: “At that moment the commander was ordered to go directly to Mar de Plata. After that we lost contact.” He suggested the fault could have affected the submarine’s navigation, but said it did have back-up systems. Search and rescue mission for Argentinian submarine Although the crew has enough food, oxygen and fuel to survive about 90 days on the sea's surface, they only have enough oxygen to last for seven days if submerged. After that, the boat  would have to surface or get near the surface to replenish air supply. Seven brief satellite signals lasting only seconds were detected over the weekend, raising hopes the crew were trying to call and prompting jubilation among the waiting families. But analysis of the low frequency signals later found they were not from the submarine. Up to 20 vessels, including the Royal Navy’s HMS Protector and HMS Clyde are joining the search. Britain has also sent an RAF C-130 aircraft and a Voyager refuelling aircraft to help it search for longer. Submarine rescue mission Cdr Erik Reynolds, spokesman for the US Navy, which is coordinating the international effort, said vessels were using their sonar to hunt for the ship, though high waves were hampering efforts. Maritime patrol planes are searching for signs of oil or waste that could have been jettisoned by the crew to signal their location. Two US Navy undersea submarine rescue vessels are on standby if needed. The vessels can attach to the hatch of a stricken submarine at depths of up to 2,000ft and then ferry surviving crew back to the surface. "There is no good news," Juan Carlos Mendoza, father of crew member Fernando Mendoza, told local reporters. "Hopefully they have oxygen." A ship leaves a Naval base to join the search for missing submarine ARA San Juan, in Mar del Plata, Argentina Credit: a Devo Source: The ARA San Juan was inaugurated in 1983, making it the newest of the three submarines in the navy's fleet. Built in Germany, it underwent maintenance in 2008 in Argentina. That maintenance included the replacement of its four diesel engines and its electric propeller engines, according to specialist publication Jane's Sentinel. ATEPSA, a union representing workers in the protection and security of aeronautics, said the case of the submarine "puts centre stage the recurring failures in state policies". It said in a statement that "the apathy in the Services of Search and Rescue, and the lack of coordination which exists in all the public bodies involved, are the faithful reflection of multiple errors which complicate the principle objective: to reach the victims in an urgent manner". Juan Carlos Mendoza, father of Fernando Mendoza, a crew member of the missing submarine ARA San Juan, stands outside the Naval base in Mar del Plata, Argentina waiting for news Credit: AP The union noted workers in several airports were participating in search operations "despite the problems of communication in the oceanic sector due to lack of investment." This was "aggravated by the fact that the plant that transmits and receives all the aeronautic communications in the country does not have staff," it complained.

From: https:

This idyllic Swiss village wants to pay you more than £50,000 to move there

Added: 22.11.2017 10:05 | 0 views | 0 comments


If it’s ever been a distant dream of yours to wind up in a tiny and beautiful mountain village, consider this. The Swiss town of Albinen, located in the scenic canton of Valais, wants to pay people 25,000 Swiss francs (£18,900) each to move there. The council will soon be voting on the new initiative, which aims to repopulate a community that has dwindled to just 240 residents, reports The Local. Under the scheme, each new adult resident will be paid the fee, with an additional 10,000 Swiss francs (£7,600) per child. For a family of four, that’s more than £53,000. Most of the previous residents who have left the village have been families with children, according to Swiss news agency ATS, with the last three departures leading to the closure of Albinen’s school. It should be noted, however, that this was never exactly a thriving neighbourhood. Its highest ever number of inhabitants on record was 380, back in 1900. What’s the catch? There are certain conditions attached to the proposed offer. New residents must be under the age of 45, and are required to build or purchase a property to live in full time, not used as a holiday home, worth at least 200,000 Swiss francs (£151,900). You’ll also have to remain in residence there for at least 10 years, or forfeit the fee. Officials hope that Albinen’s flailing economy will benefit from an influx of new homeowners through taxes, building contracts and the purchase of local produce. Switzerland has a high level of immigration from EU countries What does Albinen have to offer? Six square miles of Alpine land makes up the municipality of Albinen, huddled at an altitude of 4,300 ft in the south-west of Switzerland and dwarfed by its surrounding mountains.   Most of Albinen is farmland and forest, with its settled area of buildings and roads accounting for little over three per cent of it. Only 240 residents live here, surrounded by forest and farmland Credit: Wikipedia Commons Xenos There's little going on in the town's centre, save for its narrow cobbled turns, centuries-old houses, a church and a shop. And you’ll need to learn German, the region’s first language.  But hop in the car and it's less than four miles to Leukerbad, home to one of Europe's largest medical wellness, beauty and thermal baths complex. Charlie Chaplin, Tolstoy and Goethe were among those who travelled to the village to bathe in the calcium- and sulphate-rich thermal waters.  Switzerland tours Prefer to live in Italy? This is far from the first time a shrinking town in Europe has offered to pay people to move there, most commonly in Italy. Just last month, the Italian town of Candela in Puglia announced it would hand out up to €2,000 (£1,792) for new residents. They must live permanently in the village, rent a house, and have a salary of at least €7,500 (£6,723). Earlier this year, Italy also said it was giving away 103 of its historic buildings for free, with one catch - all takers will need to commit to transforming the properties into tourist facilities including hotels, restaurants or spas.

Call of Duty: WWII Bad Spawn Rates at a Franchise Setting Low According to Sledgehammer

Added: 22.11.2017 10:04 | 0 views | 0 comments

Michael Condrey, head of Sledgehammer Games says COD: WWII bad spawn rates are at a "franchise-setting low."

Tags: Gamers, SPA
From: n4g.com

Thomas Cook shares hit as UK earnings fall

Added: 22.11.2017 9:56 | 0 views | 0 comments

Rising hotel prices, the weaker pound and competition in the Spanish market affect the holiday firm.

Tags: UK, SPA
From: www.bbc.co.uk

UFO? Mystery Object Drops Across The Sky At Heathrow Airport, Is This Connected to Another Sighting?

Added: 22.11.2017 8:46 | 0 views | 0 comments


A mystery object was spotted flying across the Heathrow Airport last Sunday.
It was captured via Airlive and the clip was later posted on YouTube. Cameras are set up all over major international airports in the London Borough.
In a tweet, Airlive described the shining object as a "shooting star."
"Look at that amazing shooting start our cam just caught in the sky of Heathrow Airport!"
The interesting thing about the capture was the shining object's that came just seconds after it disappeared. The object, which moved with flashing light, had reportedly descended towards the houses below, according to Daily Mail.
It was speculated to be a meteor, burning before it reaches the ground. According to expert Clemens Rumpf, a visiting fellow from the University of Southampton who specializes in space debris, it could be a large meteor that's about "one meter in diameter."

From: feeds.inquisitr.com

Power struggle shakes breakaway republic in eastern Ukraine as armed men seize Luhansk

Added: 22.11.2017 7:06 | 0 views | 0 comments


Armed men seized the capital of a Russia-backed separatist republic in eastern Ukraine amid a power struggle between two top officials.  The takeover of Luhansk on Tuesday followed a decision by Igor Plotnitsky, the head of the breakaway Luhansk People's Republic, to fire interior minister Igor Kornet the night before. Luhansk state television showed masked men with assault rifles and heavy machine guns blocking the entrances of administrative buildings and streets in the centre of Luhansk on Tuesday, reportedly on the orders of the interior ministry. One of them wore the blue uniform the interior ministry's Berkut unit, a police force specialising in putting down riots. The armed men had ignored Plotnitsky's command to leave, Russian independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta reported. A video on Tuesday evening showed what appeared to be dozens of military vehicles entering Luhansk from the direction of the neighbouring Donetsk separatist republic, although a Donetsk official denied it was intervening. Igor Plotnitsky, head of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic, salutes during Victory Day military parade. Credit: Alexander Ermochenko/Reuters In a video on Tuesday Kornet said he wanted to “dispel rumours” of his dismissal and said his forces had captured Ukrainian saboteurs who were attempting terrorist attacks in the republic. He also claimed that Plotnitsky's chief of staff and the head of the security service had been implicated in a coup attempt last year and arrested on Plotnitsky's orders, along with the general director of the state television company. But Plotnitsky later said in a statement on his website that Kornet had indeed been fired and the actions of interior ministry forces “crossed all acceptable lines”. He said the “attempts of certain people to remain in power” were futile and “will be completely neutralised in the near future”. The outcome of the power struggle remained unclear on Tuesday. Novaya Gazeta reported that the republic's state security ministry, military headquarters and people's militia were “not participating in the conflict between Plotnitsky and Kornet”.  Interior minister Igor Kornet visits a penal colony near Luhansk in 2016. Credit: Alexander Ermochenko/Reuters Separatists seized control of much of the Luhansk and Donetsk regions in April 2014 following the establishment of a pro-Western government in Kiev and Russia's annexation of Crimea. The ensuing conflict between the rebels, who have received military assistance from neighbouring Russia, and government forces has claimed more than 10,000 lives.  A ceasefire agreed in Minsk in 2015 has been regularly violated, and a Ukrainian soldier died in a mortar strike on Monday. Several top separatist commanders have been assassinated since the start of the conflict.    

From: https:

Ethics probe begins after Conyers confirms harassment deal

Added: 22.11.2017 6:20 | 1 views | 0 comments


DETROIT (AP) — John Conyers has dealt with various ethics investigations and a public corruption case that landed his wife in prison during a U.S. House career spanning more than five decades — longer than any other current member. Allegations that the 88-year-old Michigan Democrat sexually harassed female staff members may be the toughest opponent ...]

From: https:

Zimbabwe parliament starts impeachment of Robert Mugabe 'for falling asleep in meetings' 

Added: 22.11.2017 6:04 | 0 views | 0 comments


Zimbabwe's parliament opened a session to begin impeachment proceedings against President Robert Mugabe on Tuesday as ousted vice president Emmerson Mnangagwa, who could be the country's next leader, told him to step down. Zanu PF, the ruling party, tabled a no-confidence motion urging parliament to remove Mr Mugabe from office for a string of offenses including falling asleep in meetings and allowing his wife to "usurp" presidential powers.  "We have seen the president sleeping in Cabinet and international meetings to the horror, shame and consternation of Zimbabweans," reads the motion, which was seconded by the parliamentary leader of the Movement for Democratic Change, the main opposition party.  Mr Mugabe also is accused of allowing Grace Mugabe, the first lade, to threaten to kill Mr Mnangagwa.  A joint session of both houses of parliament must now appoint a committee to investigate the claims and report back on whether or not a vote of no confidence will follow.  Further street protests have been called in Harare, raising fears that the political turmoil could spill over into violence. Mr Mugabe also suffered humiliation on Tuesday when almost no government ministers heeded his call to attend a cabinet meeting at his State House residence, official media reported. The snub piled pressure on the embattled president after Mr Mnangagwa, the vice president whose removal by Mr Mugabe sparked the military intervention last week, said he would consider returning to Zimbabwe if his safety was guaranteed. Mr Mnangagwa's intervention is his first public move since the army seized control. Lawmakers of Mr Mugabe's once-loyal Zanu-PF party met in parliament at 12.15pm (GMT) to trigger proceedings that could see the president stripped of office. Lawmakers in Zimbabwe sat for a session of parliament at 12.12pm (GMT) Credit:  Ben Curtis/ AP Parliament speaker Jacob Mubenda gave permission for a joint session of the House of Assembly and the Senate to debate a motion that would trigger impeachment proceedings against Mugabe. "This motion is unprecedented in the history of post-independence Zimbabwe," Mr Mubenda declared. Dozens of protesters gathered near parliament, chanting for Mr Mugabe to resign and brandishing Zimbabwean flags and banners emblazoned with "Mugabe go". A bubbling factional squabble over the presidential succession erupted two weeks ago when Mr Mugabe fired Mr Mnangagwa. The dismissal put Mr Mugabe's wife Grace in prime position to succeed her 93-year-old husband, prompting the military to step in to block her path to the presidency. After Mr Mnangagwa fled abroad, the army took over the country and placed Mugabe under house arrest - provoking amazement and delight among many Zimbabweans as his autocratic 37-year reign appeared close to an end. Mr Mnangagwa - formerly one of Mugabe's closest allies and a regime hardliner - said in his statement that Zimbabweans had "clearly demonstrated without violence their insatiable desire" for Mugabe to resign. "It is my appeal to President Mugabe that he should take heed of this clarion call," he said. The influential war veterans' association appeared to pull back from an earlier call for immediate demonstrations at Mugabe's home, instead threatening further protest action if Mr Mugabe clung on. Zimbabwe | Impeachment process "Smell the coffee - your time is gone," War Veterans' association chairman Chris Mutsvangwa said Tuesday. "Intention and action must coincide now. If he doesn't go, we will be calling on the people of Zimbabwe to come out to show him to go." On Monday evening, army chief Constantino Chiwenga told reporters that progress had been made in talks towards an apparent exit deal for the world's oldest head of state. Mr Chiwenga called for patience and calm after elated Zimbabweans were stunned to see the president declaring in a TV address on Sunday that he was still in power. Mr Mugabe's wife Grace, 52, has not been seen since the takeover. Zanu-PF lawmakers vowed to remove Mugabe after he missed their weekend deadline to resign. Mr Mugabe is thought to be battling to delay his exit in order to secure a deal that would guarantee protection for him and his family. The army insists it has not carried out a coup, but rather an operation to arrest allegedly corrupt supporters around the Mugabe family.

Older articles »
advertising

Copyright © 2008-2017 gffnews.com  - all rights reserved